Legacy of the Ripper: Any DMing tips?

A forum for discussing the many DCC modules published under third edition rules, EXCEPT for Castle Whiterock, which has its own forum.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Legacy of the Ripper: Any DMing tips?

Post by Whizbang Dustyboots »

I'm going to be placing this in Ptolus and running this module after I receive the Ptolus Big Book next month.

Any tips from folks who have DMed the module? I currently plan on swapping the first BBEG for the Monster Manual 3 counterpart, but otherwise, I just plan on making some flavor changes by making references Ptolus-specific.

Advice greatly appreciated.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

This isn't the reply you were looking for, but--I intend to run Ripper soon, too, so we can share experiences depending on who completes it first.

'Bout the best I can offer for now.
Renshai
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Renshai »

I am thinking about doing the same thing.

I have some notes that I will post here later today, after work.
Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

After going back and forth between the Warrens and the Docks of Ptolus, I'm going with the Docks, both for the tie in to one of the NPCs and because the Warrens are just TOO rough to be fun for level 1 PCs, I think. The group shouldn't be saying "thank the gods, we're safe now that we're inside the dungeon!" :P
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Hoi Whizbang,

just read your posting. I am currently in the process of reading through PTOLUS (which might take another year and a half according to my latest reckonings... *g*) and think that the WARRENS of Ptolus might be a better location for LEGEND OF THE RIPPER. They are close enough to the water and are more likely to have a sewer system than the docks, as the latter are built basically on sand with no drainage system whatsoever.
All in all the description of the slums in LEGEND better fits the flavour of the Warrens district.

Just my 2 cents... ;)
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

I don't own Ptolus, so pardon my ignorance - could Ptolus easily integrate a secret, "scandalous past"? (By that, I of course mean Princess Iasmini.)
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Ogrepuppy wrote:I don't own Ptolus, so pardon my ignorance - could Ptolus easily integrate a secret, "scandalous past"? (By that, I of course mean Princess Iasmini.)
You bet. Ptolus' past is virtually spattered with scandalous incidents. ;)

But you may be refering to the "war" that the city fought with the aquatic elves, right? Now, that requires a little bit of tinkering. To make matters worse, there are no aquatic elves mentioned - which doesn't mean that they could not exist. But the shoal elves are also at home on the seas so there might be a way to substitute a "normal" shoal elf for Iasmini. Maybe that shoal elf somehow acquired the "undine" template (in a bid for power or as part of a pact).

As for the war... well, there were lots of conflict in Ptolus' checkered past. But since this is a villain of a module for levels 1-3, it needn't be a major conflict and could easily be integrated into the Ptolus timeline. And you could confine the threat of the Ripper to the Warrens.

I think that if you modify the background part of the module, LEGEND OF THE RIPPER would fit very well into Ptolus.
Done so far:
Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

I'm about halfway through this adventure now (it's pbp, after all).

First off, I recommend dumping the ghoul encounter (which is a kind of scary first encounter for a dungeon), but do use the wild dog. I dumped it entirely, and my group went a LOOOOONG time without combat, too long for many of them, I think.

Secondly, it works well for Ptolus: I changed the Undine to a sahuagin queen (sahuagin not only exist in the Whitewind Sea, but have attacked Ptolus repeatedly over the years). The Shoal Elves are natural enemies for them, so having the writing in Elvish and so on fits just fine.

Third, the sewers aren't an issue, since the Docks back up to the cliffs where the sewers emerge. If my group actually makes it that way -- they've turned away from the barred door before the sewers -- I'll just explain it as them being essentially inside the cliffs at this point.

The Warrens would have worked without changing the tone too much, but the Docks also works fine, especially since the Undine stuff is so ocean-oriented.

I think this is a very good fit for Ptolus, and intend to use the dockside murder from The Adventure Begins for a sequel if the group is interested in a second go-round later on.

You can read the adventure in process here.
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

First off, I recommend dumping the ghoul encounter
Not a bad one, especially since Undead outside of the Necropolis are always a bit of a scare in Ptolus... (and undead are also missing from the sewer encounter tables in the book) :wink: But Ratmen/Ratlings always make for a good first-level encounter in Ptolus!
I changed the Undine to a sahuagin queen (sahuagin not only exist in the Whitewind Sea, but have attacked Ptolus repeatedly over the years).
That, of course, is more than fitting. Although it requires you to tone down that queen quite a bit to make the adventure not too deadly for your 1st level heroes!
Third, the sewers aren't an issue, since the Docks back up to the cliffs where the sewers emerge.
Do they? I'm still reading into Ptolus at this point but I remember them coming out on the Cliffs of Lost Wishes flanking the river, which is south of the Docks and--incidentally--just beneath the Warrens which is another reason I'd prefer them as the backdrop of the adventure.
Another part of the sewers empties into the King's River Gorge northwest of the city.
The Warrens would have worked without changing the tone too much, but the Docks also works fine, especially since the Undine stuff is so ocean-oriented.
You're right, of course. But all that squalor and poverty described in the adventure just lends itself more to the warrens, so there would be no need to change the tone at all.

So, don't feel smart-mouthed by me... just wanted to point out a couple of things. In the end, LEGEND OF THE RIPPER is generic enough to handle a fair bit of meddling and modifying. :)
Done so far:
Whizbang Dustyboots
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Argamae wrote:That, of course, is more than fitting. Although it requires you to tone down that queen quite a bit to make the adventure not too deadly for your 1st level heroes!
I'm actually keeping the same stats, and just slapping a sahuagin costume on her. ;)
Do they? I'm still reading into Ptolus at this point but I remember them coming out on the Cliffs of Lost Wishes flanking the river, which is south of the Docks and--incidentally--just beneath the Warrens which is another reason I'd prefer them as the backdrop of the adventure.
Another part of the sewers empties into the King's River Gorge northwest of the city.
I've set The Ten Bells at the south end of the Docks, abutting the cliff. So the sewers are right there.
Ogrepuppy
Tight-Lipped Warlock

Post by Ogrepuppy »

So how's the adventure going? Care to update us?

Return to “DCC Modules - 3E”