Undead Skinstealer

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Undead Skinstealer

Post by dulsi »

So I've been thinking of a villian for my campaign. The skinstealer was worshipper of Seroficitacit with the Seroficitacit's Change feat. He believed he was increadibly important to the god. He was too old to survive the trip to the planet so he researched some old lunar tomes. He discovered a ritual to become undead. After ungoing the ritual he lost the feat and did not understand why Seroficitacit abandonned him. He now drains life from his dominated victims. He managed to survive crashing to the planet aboard a lunar fragment. Haven't figured out the exact rules for the life drainning yet. He has taken over a mech tribe or maybe a group of the Legion. Since his victims slowly die he hasn't taken direct control. Instead he assumed a female consort for the leader and uses neighbor domination on him. When the female dies he takes over another female. He secretly plots to take Seroficitacit's power and replace him. Other skinstealers still believe him to be loyal to the god of change.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Undead Skinstealer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

Sounds good. Here's an idea for the life draining: alter the skinstealer's Neighbor Domination so that it deals the host one negative level rather than one wisdom damage. That'll add up. Or make it a monstrous vampire (Ghostwalk - just ignore the fact that aberrations can't acquire the vampire template). The blood (life) drain matches very well with a skinstealer, since a skinstealer needs to be grappling anyway. Btw, do you plan on giving it a feat to replace the inactive Seroficitacit's Changes? If so, what feat? DragonMech specifies that only something like 10% take this feat, but the statblock includes it as the feat. We don't know what the other 90% do!
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

I've been thinking vampire like as well. I debated lich or mummy as well but vampire like seems best. Maybe drains one level a month from host. So the leader is changing girlfriends every couple of months. Having neighbor domination drain a level would burn through host too quickly I think.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the feat. Since they are 4HD they should have two feats so even those with Seroficitacit's Change are missing one.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
Oaksoul Elite
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Oaksoul Elite »

You're right. Neighbor drain dealing 1 negative level would be too fast . . . unless you get something like CHA or INT mod dominations (maybe even adding 1/2 HD) for every one level drain. But I guess you're right. It still wouldn't be the right rate. Seems like you've got it right.

Huh. I never noticed the second missing feat. I've considered some of the following:
- Deceitful. Perfect for the disguise aspect
- Dodge
- Improved Initiative. Perfect for getting the slip on characters and begin grappling
- Ability Focus. Perfect for enhancing its abilities. I'd give this only to a non-standard (unique) skinstealer
- Persuasive. Provides the other necessary boost to blending in. Maybe skinstealers w/o Seroficitacit's Changes have Persuasive and Deceitful.
- Weapon Focus (hooks)
- Stealthy. Good for getting the drop on targets.
- Up the Walls. Even better for getting the drop on targets. :lol: Too bad they don't qualify. I personally houserule that skinstealers are psionic (and dronogs too). But even if they met that requirement, their WIS is too low
- Hostile Mind. Captures its lunar essence pretty well.
- Hidden Talent (Grip of Iron, Empathy, or Conceal Thoughts); or just plain Wild Talent.
- Mental Leap. Very good for jumping up at someone for some face-hugging attack action
- Psionic Body
I am Omnirahk, half-Rahkshi ("Omni") of the WotC forums. I consider "Psionics in DragonMech" (see my website) my greatest contribution to anything d20 so far. At least, it's my most successful topic.
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

It appears someone noticed the feat problem back in 2005 (see http://www.goodmangames.com/forums/view ... ae70440ddc).

For the lunar vampire, I thinking of giving it nanite swarm children of night. Children of night wouldn't work most of the time due to the lunar creatures not being around. Not sure what to do for bat and wolf. May make some other changes to make them unique.
Last edited by dulsi on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

Bat replacement.

Airswimmer
Diminutive Aberration (Lunar)
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8+1 (2hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 5ft, fly 30ft (good)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +1 Dex, +1 Natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-16
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 1ft/0ft
Special Attack: -
Special Qualities: All-around vision, darkvision 60ft, lunar traits
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 4
Skills: Hide +15, Listen +4, Move Silently +2, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Any land or underground
Organization: Colony (10-40)
Challenge Rating: 1/10
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Airswimmers resembled bloated fish with bat like wings instead of fins. The wings are higher up than the fins would normally be found. A single leg supports its body while on the ground.

Combat

All-Around Vision (Ex): The airswimmer's eyes can rotate and focus seperately giving it a full 360-degree arc of vision. Airswimmer get a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks and can’t be flanked.
Last edited by dulsi on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

Airswimmer Swarm
Diminutive Aberration (Lunar, Swarm)
Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16hp)
Speed: 5ft, fly 30ft (good)
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +1 Dex, +1 Natural), touch 15, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-16
Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Full Attack: Swarm (1d6)
Space/Reach: 10ft/0ft
Special Attack: Distraction, Suffocation
Special Qualities: All-around vision, darkvision 60ft, lunar traits
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +5
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +7, Spot +11
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude
Environment: Lunar or meteors
Organiztion: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -

Airswimmer swarms rarely form swarms naturally.

Combat

All-Around Vision (Ex): The airswimmer's eyes can rotate and focus separately giving it a full 360-degree arc of vision. Airswimmer swarms get a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks.

Suffocation (Ex): The airswimmer excrete some gas that interferes with breathing by terrestrial creatures. A single airswimmer does not produce enough of the substance to affect creatures but in swarms it can be deadly. Any creature within the space of an airswimmer swarm must hold their breath or begin suffocating. Normal breathing is not possible until outside the swarm for a full round.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

Dire Airswimmer
Large Aberration (Lunar)
Hit Dice: 4d8+20 (38hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10ft, fly 40ft (average)
Armor Class: 17 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +6 Natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+15
Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+9)
Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (2d6+9)
Space/Reach: 10ft/5ft
Special Attack: -
Special Qualities: All-around vision, darkvision 60ft, lunar traits, quantum vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +6
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +3, Listen +4, Move Silently +1, Spot +10
Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Attack (bite)
Organization: Solitary or Colony (5-8)
Challenge Rating: 3
Advancement: 5-12 HD (Large)

Combat
The dire airswimmer aggressively ripes into opponents.

All-Around Vision (Ex): The dire airswimmer's eyes can rotate and focus seperately giving it a full 360-degree arc of vision. Dire airswimmer get a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search checks and can’t be flanked.

Quantum Vision (Ex): Dire airswimmer see through objects objects through unknown means. Hiding behind objects for cover does not grant an AC bonus against the dire airswimmer's attacks.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games
dulsi
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by dulsi »

Wolf replacement.

Gorehound
Medium Aberration (Lunar)
Hit Dice: 2d8+10 (19hp)
Speed: 40ft
Armor Class: 14 (+4 Natural), Touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+5
Attack: Gore +5 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: Gore +5 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attack: Powerful Charge
Special Qualities: Darvision 60ft, lunar traits
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +0, Will +3
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills: Listen +1, Spot +1
Feats: Diehard(B), Endurance
Organization: Solitary or Family (2-6)
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: 3 HD (Medium), 4-6 HD (Large)

The gorehound is think and muscular quadruped. The white skin color of the gorehound is similar to the lunar dragon. A colection of horns pointed forward surround their face. No nose can be seen. The grey eyes nestled in the horns. A wide mouth fills the rest of the face. They typically weight around 400 pounds.

Combat

Gorehound are relentless combatants and rarely retreat.

Powerful Charge (Ex): A gorehound deals 2d6+8 points of damage when it makes a charge.
Dennis Payne
Identical Games

Return to “DragonMech”