Aid Another?

Medieval fantasy mechs powered by steam, magic, or the labor of a thousand slaves.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh, walrusjester, mythfish

Post Reply
Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:05 am

Aid Another?

Post by Arek » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Hey, how does Aid Another work for making a mech? I seem to remember there being a recent post about it, but I can't find it.

Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:05 am

Post by Arek » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Okay, found what I want.

It raises another question, though.


...

How the hell was Tannaliel's DC achieved?

walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:02 am
Location: Surrounded by corn

Post by walrusjester » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:19 am

Tannan, as the foremost arcane mech designer in history, has created a bunch of weird spells specifically to help with that very problem. Consider how useful it would be to have a medium-level divination that functioned like True Strike, only for reaching your Craft DC.
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.

Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:05 am

Post by Arek » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:20 am

walrusjester wrote:Tannan, as the foremost arcane mech designer in history, has created a bunch of weird spells specifically to help with that very problem. Consider how useful it would be to have a medium-level divination that functioned like True Strike, only for reaching your Craft DC.
Very useful, indeed.

And I assume he could have gotten some outside advice and probably dug up one of the last surviving copies of Thee Boke of Golymcrafte all the back issues of Enchanter's Quarterly and traded three magic wands, a uncut diamond the size of an apple, and a necklace made from a revenant's teeth for the original edition of The Tome of Livynge Magicke and probably did some serious praying to the elven deities and had a magic item made that gave him a bonus to Mechcraft (Cost: Bonus squared x 100)...

All of which stacked together would give him just about enough to make a City-Mech F out of living material.

The question is, of course he'll use his newfound expertise for the benefit of elvenkind, but one of the new questions is:

Will the Gearwrights ever find out those spells are in existence? I can't quite decide if they'd be interested, ecstatic, or horrified.

The other new question, which arrived upon running over Tannanliel's characteristics in my mind, is:

What's its personality?

The big steam-driven city-mechs have their own minds, as the cogworms have discovered. And they're just moving pieces of metal and stone put together.

Tannanliel is made of living wood and it's powered by magic. Magic has always had an inclination towards forming its own mind.

The idea of Tannanliel gaining sapience is quite...interesting.[/i]

walrusjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:02 am
Location: Surrounded by corn

Post by walrusjester » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:40 pm

Arek wrote: Will the Gearwrights ever find out those spells are in existence? I can't quite decide if they'd be interested, ecstatic, or horrified.
If we do 4E DragonMech, you may well find an answer to this question.
Arek wrote:
The other new question, which arrived upon running over Tannanliel's characteristics in my mind, is:

What's its personality?

The big steam-driven city-mechs have their own minds, as the cogworms have discovered. And they're just moving pieces of metal and stone put together.

Tannanliel is made of living wood and it's powered by magic. Magic has always had an inclination towards forming its own mind.

The idea of Tannanliel gaining sapience is quite...interesting.[/i]
Well, let's not assume that what the cogworms think they know is actually true. It's a big, weird world.

Moreover, if you've read Second Age of Walkers you know that there are some... complications with the way Tannanliel functions. I won't spoil it for people who haven't read the book, but the circumstances surrounding Tannanliel would definitely shape its mindset.

Speaking of which, how do you think the necropolis-mech Sharlorn from Mech Manual would think?
DragonMech line developer, freelance writer, tall guy named Matt.

Arek
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:05 am

Post by Arek » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:43 pm

walrusjester wrote:
Arek wrote: Will the Gearwrights ever find out those spells are in existence? I can't quite decide if they'd be interested, ecstatic, or horrified.
If we do 4E DragonMech, you may well find an answer to this question.
Arek wrote:
The other new question, which arrived upon running over Tannanliel's characteristics in my mind, is:

What's its personality?

The big steam-driven city-mechs have their own minds, as the cogworms have discovered. And they're just moving pieces of metal and stone put together.

Tannanliel is made of living wood and it's powered by magic. Magic has always had an inclination towards forming its own mind.

The idea of Tannanliel gaining sapience is quite...interesting.[/i]
Well, let's not assume that what the cogworms think they know is actually true. It's a big, weird world.

Moreover, if you've read Second Age of Walkers you know that there are some... complications with the way Tannanliel functions. I won't spoil it for people who haven't read the book, but the circumstances surrounding Tannanliel would definitely shape its mindset.

Speaking of which, how do you think the necropolis-mech Sharlorn from Mech Manual would think?
Arrogant. Imperious. The purpose of its sword and its maker is probably rubbing off of it.

Post Reply