Aging Dinos

Comments on our other product lines: Dungeon Alphabet, Monster Alphabet, Cthulhu Alphabet, How to Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, and more...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

TyranosaurusTex
Ill-Fated Peasant

Aging Dinos

Post by TyranosaurusTex »

OK, here's something I haven't see n on the site or in the books. All the stat blocks for the dinos are given for full grown adult dinos, what are the stats for the young? How do you take the adult stats and turn them into stats for a sub-adult, juvinial, or baby? This is relevent because I wanted to have my characters take on a renegade dinosaur research facility and try to rescue the young dinos kept there. And also, since some dinos may have had live young (such as the larger Saurapods) it would stand to reason that these youngsters would need stats quicker than a dino who's young stayed in the nest for a while (like most hadrosaurs and possibly the cearatopsians). Goodman please help!
Dinosaurs ruled the earth for over 100 million years, we only have 99,900,000 years to go to match it. God save the world if we make it!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Hmmm, that's an interesting question! The Monster Manual has rules for sizing creatures up or down. You could use those to get smaller versions of the existing stats... but their rules are fairly complicated. The easiest, fastest way I can think of -- assuming you just need some quick stats for a game or two, and don't want to spend hours crafting a perfectly balanced set of stat blocks -- is to chop everything by a percentage basis.

For example, let's say a human teenager is age 13, with 21 being the cutoff for adulthood. So the kid's 62% (13 divided by 21) of his "adult stats." So he'd have 62% of his adult hp, 62% of his adult attack bonus, and so on. If you had a similarly youthful dinosaur that is 60% of its mature size, you just multiply his hp by 0.60, his attack bonus by 0.60, his natural AC bonus by 0.60, etc.

Then you have to adjust things for size, because the d20 rules have attack and AC modifiers for smaller creatures. But the rest of the nitpicky stuff (skill points and such) probably won't come into play in a single game.

Anyway, that's how I'd do it. =) Does that help?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
TyranosaurusTex
Ill-Fated Peasant

Thanks!

Post by TyranosaurusTex »

That sure does, goodman! I totaly forgot about the Monster Manual having that stuff in it, but going back and looking at it it seems to be a little over what I need (and would take up way to much pre-game time), so I'll try that percentage thing. If that still doesn't work, then I'll just make something up I guess. :) Anyway, there's an idea for you for later, a Dinosaur Manual with all the stats from diffrent species that those in the two main books and stats for baby dinos. Just a thought.
Dinosaurs ruled the earth for over 100 million years, we only have 99,900,000 years to go to match it. God save the world if we make it!
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Glad it works for you! I've actually thought about doing a "Dinosaur Directory" -- compiling all the dinosaur stats into one book, perhaps after all the supplements are out. Including stats for juveniles and babies is a good idea, too. Maybe someday... :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Derek

Post by Derek »

I just bought the 3 main books of Brex and like what I am reading.

As to the question asked so long ago- if you want a template for young creatures, check out miniature in Silverthorne's Book of Templates (Deluxe Edition). It is a pdf via rpgnow. Quick, easy and simple for a template.

Return to “System Neutral Products and More”