Mammoth Cave

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

DCCfan
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer
FLGS: The Comics Club

Mammoth Cave

Post by DCCfan »

I just got back from Mammoth Cave National Park and all I can say is... WOW! I have been adventuring in caves since the 5th grade but never actually been in one. It was amazing to experience exploring a cave in real life. This is also the cave of caves. It's just massive. I really felt like I was in The Underdark. I half expected a group of Kobolds or Drow to come out of the rocks and attack our group. :mrgreen: All jokes aside it was a great experiance and a lot of fun. If you ever get a chance go. You won't be sorry.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

THE PROTOCOLS, ADVANCED PROTOCOL #10
gamerprinter
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Re: Mammoth Cave

Post by gamerprinter »

Went there as a kid, I remember walking for miles... yeah, its a beautiful natural wonder, that's for sure. Actually I've been to lots of different major caves while vacationing as kid - Mammoth Caves, Carlsbad Caverns, some cave in Missouri...

In fact for current influence for any Underdark/Cavern maps, I reflect those visits long ago and try to make my cavern maps that much more realistic because of them.

GP
mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

Post by mythfish »

Did you go on the lantern light tour? That's even more like dungeon crawling...
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

I wanted to go on the lantern light tour but it was sold out. It was really busy the weekend I went. Most of the tours were sold out or almost sold out by 10:30AM. We went on the new entrance tour which was wet and had the frozen falls. It also had a ton of twisting and winding stairs that went down from the surface sink hole to the cave below. Then we went on the natural entrance tour. This one went into some of the larger rooms and was very dry and cool. It focused more on the history of the cave and people who used it.
"When creating your character,choose an ethical system that can justify nearly any fit of temper, greed, cowardice, or vindictiveness, for example, Chaotic Violent..."

DCCfan

Post by DCCfan »

In fact for current influence for any Underdark/Cavern maps, I reflect those visits long ago and try to make my cavern maps that much more realistic because of them.

GP[/quote/]
I feel very inspired to be much more descriptive of the caves now that I've seen one. The way it looks feels and sounds or lack of sound. At times when the group was all quiet at the same time all I could hear was the blood pounding in my ears. At one point we turned out all the lights and I thought about how it would be to lose your light source in the middle of a fight with a Drow. I usually start out paying attention to the light source but at some point in the adventure I forget about it. The party ends up seeing things they shouldn't or fighting away from the light source with no penalties. Anyway I plan on making my caves more realistic from now on.

Return to “Everything Else”