Holdfast: Record of the Dwarven Kingdoms & Gamebooks

You know... whatever.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

TheBlackChicken
Ill-Fated Peasant

Holdfast: Record of the Dwarven Kingdoms & Gamebooks

Post by TheBlackChicken »

Evening everyone;

We sought permission from Joseph before posting here, and, with his blessing, we'd like to introduce our seriously old school attempt to bring the great D&D inspired gamebooks back to the fore:

http://kck.st/11UOlBU

Holdfast is inspired by the masters of the '80s and the '90s: Lone Wolf, Fighting Fantasy and Fabled Lands, in particular. It uses dice and a cyoa format to guide you through a story of Dwarven honor, greed, gold and glory. Besides two printed editions (soft and hard covers), we also have a digital application available for Android/Mac/PC beginning at a $5 pledge.

Hope you'll lend us your axes to celebrate this grand, but fading, genre.

Thanks!
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: Holdfast: Record of the Dwarven Kingdoms & Gamebooks

Post by finarvyn »

TheBlackChicken wrote:...a story of Dwarven honor, greed, gold and glory...
Sounds interesting. When I first discovered D&D back in the 1970's all I ever wanted to play is dwarves. I've expanded my horizons a lot since then, but have always found a soft spot in my heart for a good dwarven adventure. Looking forward to this! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
TheBlackChicken
Ill-Fated Peasant

finarvyn;

Excellent! You are in good company, then. :)
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

I may move this thread, however, as I'm not sure it's an "Appendix N" topic. Maybe "Third Party DCC"....
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
TheBlackChicken
Ill-Fated Peasant

finarvyn;

Up to you!

We felt it was Appendix N because the gamebooks had a unique relationship to 1st Edition D&D. They introduced many people without GMs to fantasy gaming, and of course, many D&D players played (and developed!) gamebooks.

It seemed like a relevant topic for D&D and its roots and sources. ;)
Colin

Post by Colin »

So, does it actually have any relationship to the DCC RPG? I see mention of a Pathfinder-based sourcebook, but nothing about the DCC RPG at all.

Colin
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by finarvyn »

TheBlackChicken wrote:We felt it was Appendix N because the gamebooks had a unique relationship to 1st Edition D&D. They introduced many people without GMs to fantasy gaming, and of course, many D&D players played (and developed!) gamebooks.

It seemed like a relevant topic for D&D and its roots and sources. ;)
An interesting point. To me, Appendix N is about the literature that inspired the game, not other RPG systems that might inspire a gamer. A subtle difference, but I think an important one.
Colin wrote:So, does it actually have any relationship to the DCC RPG? I see mention of a Pathfinder-based sourcebook, but nothing about the DCC RPG at all.
It doesn't seem to have a direct DCC connection, but I like the fact that it brings the solo adventure style into play.

My initial thought was that it would be easy enough to convert to DCC "on the fly" but in re-reading I realize the rules are based on a d10 die roll rather than a d20. This would seem to make conversion a little tricky.
Marv / Finarvyn

-- Gary Gygax
-- Dave Arneson
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

The board index gives this description of this section: "This forum is for discussion of all things Appendix N (and related subjects: D&D history, pulp sci-fi/fantasy magazines, pre-genre literature, etc.)."

The "D&D history" part is kind of wide open. But I think it is meant in the context of how the game originally evolved and picked up influences from Appendix N and other sources (otherwise the title of "Appendix N" and the use of the tern "related subjects" means more or less nothing), not broadly 'stuff that happened at the same time as D&D'. Less so a game inspired by 20-year-old books by creators that themselves drew some inspiration from D&D.

I can sympathize in wanting greater exposure for the project. it is certainly something that some who are into DCC and/or Appendix N will be interested in. But I'm in favor of the sections of the forum being pretty much what they say on the tin.

This topic feels like a stretch for this section. "Everything Else" is probably the best fit on the GG forum (down on the other side of the tracks... 8) )
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Colin

Post by Colin »

Given that it has no link to the DCC RPG (and doesn't even lend itself to immediate conversion), isn't really Appendix N material, and isn't by GG, I agree it's a topic for Everything Else and have now moved it.
TheBlackChicken
Ill-Fated Peasant

Colin;

Thanks! Always good to be in the right place. ;)

Return to “Everything Else”