But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist
FLGS: The Portal

Re: Tunnels & Trolls Kickstarter

Post by Blood Axe »

Anybody have actual experience playing this? I glanced through it. Spells have silly names. ( id rename them) Dwarves are x2 str/con of Humans. Combat & damage is done in groups. Different from what im accustom to.
To defend: This is the Pact.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

It's easily been three decades since I played T&T and I can't begin to comment on the system from long ago -- except that I think it uses all d6's.

As a kid I loved playing through the solo dungeons they put out... :mrgreen:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

T&T is a GREAT game if your GM is the kind of guy/gal who can think on her feet,loves to mix in a good amount of humor and hates crunch.

My last game that I ran took me less than 5 min to think up and stat out and we played for 6 hours on it.

T&T COULD be played other ways as any rpg can but it specializes in wild crazy fun with a flying by the seat of your paints attitude.

That adventure was all about Bob The Terrible, a Hobbit Necromancer who was hell bent on taking over the entire beer trade in Khazan's Inn's and Taverns. His nine foot Stone Troll bodyguard(Cwubber) and familiar Imp(Toolong) bedeviled the party to no end until the climatic finish involving a fight at a Brewery run by Leprechauns.

Now could you play it the exact same as D&D or DCC? Sure. It just IMHO doesn't play to the systems strengths.

The SR(Save Roll) IS the system. Want to leap over the first two ranks of orcs and onto the head of the orc chief? Not a prob,make a level 2 Dex SR. Make it and you are gold! You and the chief alone get one round to duke it out before anyone else could help him....fail it and you land in the midst of the horde and lose your footing so don't get all of your adds the first round as they gank you.

SR's are GREAT!

Hope that helped at least a little.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Hmmmmm....sounds like Mighty Deeds. Im keeping an eye on the kickstarter to see how it goes. Not sure if I want to go hardcover or softcover.
Gameogre
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by Gameogre »

In T&T the default combat is group not individual like in DCC. You CAN just run combats like in DCC one player verse one monster going around the table but it works better if you just have the party roll,add together all there totals and then roll for the monsters and do the same.

This has been known to make experienced D&D players wince and cry.

It's really not all that different than D&D but it does take a while to get used to it.
Blood Axe
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Blood Axe »

Well, individual combat gives the player a sense of accomplishment. His hero killed that Orc or whatever.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

T&T is certainly a light-hearted, light-rules RPG system. I'm a big fan of the 5E rules, which were essentially unchanged for about 20 years.

I'm not sure how the new kickstarter rules will differ from 5E; I know that 7E had some differences that I didn't like so much, but I'm not really current anymore since I just default to 5E nowadays.

If you have a lot of T&T enthusiasm, you might take a peek at the TrollBridge, a forum devoted to the game.
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman

Return to “Everything Else”