Open Design #9 Seeking Patrons!

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Ben_McFarland
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Open Design #9 Seeking Patrons!

Post by Ben_McFarland »

Wolfgang Baur is happy to announce Open Design's 9th project: Halls of the Mountain King!

Wolfgang states:
"Open Design has gone to cities, deserts, the underdark, castles, and more, but we've never done a traditional dungeon. (And we're never going to!)

Instead, Halls of the Mountain King will be a very untraditional dungeon, an homage to Moria and Undermountain that does add a few twists. The maps will be done in the Ruins of Undermountain style (that is, maps drawn in close collaboration with the cartographer).

Plot and story will be worked out collaboratively, though I have a core concept. The dwarves are a hard-working group, whose mining of adamantine lured them ever-deeper and whose pursuit of liftgas ore led them likewise into dangerous territory. The vertical dungeon goes from the depths of the earth through the great halls and works of a vanished clan, up to a snowy mountaintop spire. Possibly topped off by an airship dock, as suggested by Kobold Quarterly magazine's recent article on airships. Much more detail to come in the Forums and as the result of patron discussion.

Despite the emphasis on dwarven halls, I'll be riding herd on the design to avoid cliches. No crypts loaded with undead, no orcs or goblins who rule the halls. Something else has led to the dwarven collapse.

Maps: This dungeon will include roughly 20 tactical maps and a massive overview/cutaway of the vertical dungeon. With a little luck, it may also include a 3D/isometric map, like the ones in I6 Ravenloft. The adventure itself will have 40 encounters total. About half of them will be combat, a quarter traps/hazards, and a quarter skill challenges and roleplaying.

Bonus For 3rd Edition: If Halls is commissioned for 3rd Edition play, this project will also include a 48-page Zobeck Gazetteer focused on the dwarves and gearforged of Zobeck, rituals for how to become a gearforged PC, the cults and devil worshippers of the city, and a section on Kariv life and culture, plus special rules for gypsy PCs and urban kobolds as PCs. And whatever else senior patrons request.

Bonus For 4th Edition: If commissioned for 4th Edition play, this project will also include a 48-page Delver's and Flyer's Gazetteer. We'll create new dwarven rituals, dwarven magical items, and clan lore and PC clan feats, and a LOT of new gear usable by non-dwarves as well. Plus a section of DM hazards for the delvers, adventure seeds for the DM, and a small horde of monsters appropriate to the setting. And whatever else senior patrons request.

Designers
I'll be writing the Gazetteer (whichever one it is), possibly with direct contributions from senior patrons. I'll definitely be writing at least one level of the Halls, possibly two or three, but I won't be the only author.

Professional freelancers and senior patrons will be able to pitch their work for the other levels. All patrons can vote on whose pitches are accepted.

For the professional designers, I'll stick my neck out and say that the Tim Connors, Nicolas Logue, and Richard Pett will all be invited to submit a professional pitch for a level of the Halls. Probably also Jeff Grubb, Ed Greenwood, and Jonathan Tweet, though I expect they may say no. Then again, Grubb said yes to Six Arabian Nights and Ed Greenwood contributed to the recent Tales of Zobeck.

Senior patrons and major donors may also throw their hats in, and traditionally their pitches have done well and have been included in prior projects. We'll have three rounds of pitches, as we did in Six Arabian Nights and Tales of Zobeck. Requested length will be at least 8,000 words, possibly more.

Signing Up as a Patron

It's easy to sign up. For $25 basic membership for OGL/3rd Edition or 4th Edition, you get access to the design essays, design discussion, a copy of the PDF when it ship in late spring (June, at a guess), and the option to pick up a print-on-demand copy at your discretion.

For $50 basic membership for OGL/3rd Edition or 4th Edition you get access to the essays, design discussion, a PDF copy and may contribute complete design material for direct consideration (spells, items, rituals). You'll have access to the playtest draft of the manuscript when it's ready. At your option, you may also pick up a print-on-demand copy of the completed book.

As a $75 senior patron for OGL or 4th Edition, you gain access to the senior patron discussion and the pitching process (you may pitch one idea per round). You also get access to the playtest draft and other drafts, art, maps, and so forth.

For $150 major donors for OGL or 4th Edition, you have access to all the other patron perks, and you will receive a signed, autographed copy of the final book. You may pitch two ideas in any given round."

To sign up, come to: the livejournal page

or visit us at: Kobold Quarterly

Even Monte Cook says Open Design projects are "Awesome!" What are you waiting for? Become a patron today!

--
Small But Fierce...
Kobold Quarterly's Public Relations Minion.
Last edited by Ben_McFarland on Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Re: Open Design #9 Seeking Patrons!

Post by goodmangames »

Hey, we already wrote that module!

http://www.goodman-games.com/5053preview.html
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Arawn76
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Arawn76 »

:lol: That's quite funny!

I wonder if Wolfgang is aware of the similarity in names.

This project looks great and if it's anywhere near the quality of the last should be an awesome addition to the 4e catalogue. I was a late comer patron to the Wrath of the River King but it was definitely worth the cash and although I was a little reticent to speak up during the process (bit shy) it was definitely an interesting learning experience.

Between my growing Goodman DCC's and 4e products and offerings like this my 4e collection (particularly 3pp) is going to catch up with the 3.x stuff in no time flat.

Of course this all depends on whether it gets enough 4e patrons.....
The beauty of the soul shines out when a man bears with composure one heavy mischance after another, not because he does not feel them, but because he is a man of high and heroic temper"

"Birthright" on the WOTC forums or "Birthright" at The Piazza.
Ben_McFarland
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ben_McFarland »

And I kind of screwed up the URL... it's http://open-design.livejournal.com

-Ben.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

goodmangames wrote:Hey, we already wrote that module!

http://www.goodman-games.com/5053preview.html
That's all right. I figure we can let Wolfgang borrow it for a bit. ;)

//H
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Ben_McFarland
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ben_McFarland »

This project is just about ready to get the green light!

OGL is in the lead, but there has been serious talk of a conversion for 4E and maintaining a 4E Gazetteer with paragon paths, rituals, items, powers and more.

Once the project begins, the price for patronage will go up about $5, from $25 to $30.

Now's the time to get in and get brainstorming!

-Ben.
--
Small but Fierce...
Ben_McFarland
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ben_McFarland »

This project is go!

It has met commission and will begin development as an OGL project!

There will be a 4E conversion and if there is sufficient support, a 4E Gazetteer featuring new rituals, clan lore and rules, new equipment and magic items, and much more. Details will go to 4E patrons by email.

-Ben.
--
Small but Fierce...
Ben_McFarland
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Ben_McFarland »

Fifty 4E patrons remained with the project, sufficient to confirm that there will not only be a conversion of the OGL adventure to 4E, but also the 4E Iron Gazetteer, with rituals, clan lore and rules, new equipment and magic items, and much more.

If you were on the fence about becoming a patron for a 4E Open Design, now you've got a guarantee!

Come join the fun!

-Ben.
--
Small but Fierce...

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”