D&D 4.0 stat block

Talk about rules, campaigns, worlds, products, other companies, D&D in general, and anything else d20 or D&D related.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

mythfish
Chaos-Summoning Sorcerer

D&D 4.0 stat block

Post by mythfish »

D&D 4.0 stat block

Thought a few people here might be interested in seeing it.
Dieter Zimmerman
[[Faceless Minion of the Dark Master]]
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Interesting that some attacks will go straight to your saves, instead of hitting your AC (or touch AC) first and then requiring a save. I like it (its similar to Saga Edition Star Wars RPG).

And it looks like something finally happens when you get low on hit points! No more fighting bad guys who don't flag when you get them down to 1 hit point! "How's he looking?" "He's, um, er, a bit shaky, but he swings at you again!"
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

Anybody any idea what "nethersight" is? And I noticed that this bugger has a perception value as well as a Spot skill. Or is perception relates to his sense ability?
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Jengenritz
Steely-Eyed Heathen-Slayer

Post by Jengenritz »

Well, I appreciate that the stat block will take up 10% as much space, freeing up word count to write plot and descriptive text.
Co-Author: The Almanac of the Endless Traders, DCC #13, DCC #29, DCC #49, DCC #51, DCC #52, DCC #63

Author: DCC #55: Isle of the Sea Drake, DCC #61: Citadel of the Corruptor, more to come....
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

I'm just guessing here, but the bonuses for abilities could be something like this (the italic bits are from the card itself):

2-3 -1 | 4-5 +0 | 6-7 +1 | 8-9 +2 | 10-11 +3 | 12-13 +4 | 14-15 +5 | 16-17 +6 | 18-19 +7

This could be totally wrong, but if it were at least close: You get bonuses for stats below 12... which suggests to me that point-buy will be the method for generating stats. Now you won't be bummed out (or as bummed out) when you have to leave a stat or two at a 10 to get what you want elsewhere. Die rolling my be an optional variant for us fogeys who like randomnessness (or else we'll just do it anyways).
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

I would surmise that the stats have the same bonuses as 3.5. But as in STAR WARS: Saga Edition there might be an Action Bonus equal to half the level already added in (to all attributes). Since the Spiked Devil is level 6, this bonus would be +3 which fits in nicely with the standard bonuses due to ability score: STR 19 = +4 plus Action Bonus makes +7.
Just a guess, though. :wink:
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
moriarty777
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by moriarty777 »

Certainly interesting... though I can see that players who are more interested in building ultimate characters and min-maxing may take a shine to 4E if GnomeBoy is correct.

However, stat generation may also take a strong departure from your traditional 3D6 too. Otherwise, you end up with some pretty impressive peasants roaming the countryside!

;)

I for one am still curious about 4E and really hope that I'll be able to convert 4E material for C&C 'on the fly' like I'm able to do with 3.x

Moriarty the Red
Mark_Gedak
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Mark_Gedak »

Argamae wrote:Anybody any idea what "nethersight" is?
I would expect that "nethersight" is a rewrite of the devil's "see in darkness" ability.

Return to “d20/D&D Conversation”