Erol Otus

Share links and comments about your favorite A-R-T and the cool folks who make it. Help other A-R-T fans find cool new A-R-T-ists out there on the net!

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Erol Otus

Post by caveman »

I've been a fan of Erol Otus for a long time but don't know anything about him
I see he's doing covers for Goodman Games. Is he coming out of retirement? has he been in the gaming industry the whole time? What's his story?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Too bad you couldn't make it to Gen Con SoCal. We had fun hanging out with him there. He now works for a company that makes video games, and hasn't done much RPG work for many years. However, he's starting to feel the urge once more, and we're happy to help him get his feet wet again. :)
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

I wish I had made it to Gen Con

how could I contact Erol Otus or find out about other appearances?
Does he have a personal website?

thanks
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

He doesn't have a web site, although he said he's working on one. I'll let him know about this thread in case he wants to post here...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

He doesn't have a web site, although he said he's working on one. I'll let him know about this thread in case he wants to post here...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
caveman
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by caveman »

It would be great if Mr Otus got in touch his covers for those earlier hardpacks and modules are classics that really set a great tone for the game, I much prefer it to the current anime style

Me and a friend were at Gen Con 2000 in Wisconsin when the 3e came out and we were asking some of the new artists and some of the designers about Erol Otus and we were shocked when noone knew anything about him! It has been a big mystery. i'm glad he's getting back in the business
papaholdy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Erol Otus is Awsome

Post by papaholdy »

When I think D&D I think Erol Otus. I always loved his artwork in and on the books. I'd love to get prints (or orginals) of his work to display proudly in my office.

I am glad to see him return to the fantasy (gaming) art. And where better then in the products like Dungeon Crawl Classics and HackMaster modules.

I would definatly like to know more about him as well.

Erol, please put up a website so we can post questions to you!
Mbuvnietl
Ill-Fated Peasant

more Erol Otus art please

Post by Mbuvnietl »

I was about to post in the Suggestion Box, then in the General Fantasy (Dungeon Crawl Classics) forum, but the subject of this thread - Erol Otus - is really what got me here.

Just noticed the ad for 'DCC3: The Mysterious Tower' in the latest Knights of the Dinner Table issue, and I couldn't believe that I was looking at a *new* Erol Otus cover. I made my way to this site and saw the upcoming 'Bloody Jack's Gold' - that cover art is amazing.

These two modules are going to be the first I've bought new in a game store since the '80s. (Soon to be followed by the rest of the Dungeon Crawl Classics series, no doubt.)

Thank you so much for releasing new Erol Otus art in your modules. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing more of his work in your upcoming books.
Mbuvnietl
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mbuvnietl »

there does seem to be a macabre Erol Otus website in progress -

http://www.erolotus.com

with this cryptic note:
"erolotus.com is in its early stages,
it will shuffle into the light in the not too distant future."

A quick search also shows a few unofficial online galleries (like this one:
http://minipainting-guild.net/eo/eohome.html) and other info, like about Erol Otus' recent cover for the Hackmaster module "Descent into the Netherdeep."
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Mbuvnietl, glad you found the web site! I agree that the cover for Bloody Jack's Gold is awesome. I love the weird armor that the adventurers are wearing. Erol is working on another piece as we speak, so there will be more to come in the future!
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Mbuvnietl
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Mbuvnietl »

Thanks for the great news - I don't want to overdo it, but I really am excited about seeing the Otus art in your new modules.

Yeah I think that the armor is great too, and that bizarre pointy mage headgear, and the tentacles and ooze and slime (terrific drooling spider), and the fantastic lighting, I love it. I love this distinctive style of his.

I also love the cover for DCC6: Temple of the Dragon Cult, with the funky spell effects and the great colors and shading. The cover and interior art is probably my favorite part of a module - right up there with playing it - and I really like what I've seen of the Dungeon Crawl series.

(and thanks for the handy list of retailers on the main site btw -)
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Just wanted to make sure you noticed the announcement on the next DCC with an Erol Otus cover. It is DCC #8: Mysteries of the Drow, scheduled for June. Check it out:

http://www.goodman-games.com/5007preview.php
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
Zoinks
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Zoinks »

Holy!

I'm really amazed and awed!

The latest front cover for the August Issue #10 module is totally breathtaking! Not only is the cover art look amazing but the whole premise of the story sounds very interesting! I am speechless!

I can't wait to get my hands on it!

Here is the link:

http://www.goodman-games.com/5009preview.php
spicyjack
Gongfarmer

EO Art in Dungeon #116

Post by spicyjack »

For those of you who subscribe to Dungeon, and/or can pick up a copy of issue #116 (November 2004), the editors profile the top 30 adventures... they picked a lot (say 3-5 out of 30) of 1st Edition modules where Mr. Otus did the cover art. Good to see those works of his get recognition again.
Harley Stroh
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by Harley Stroh »

Another Otus fan site:

http://jrients.tripod.com/otus/otus.html

Scroll all the way down to the bottom to get to the gallery links. It has an impressive array of scans, and some artwork that I've never seen before.
The lucky guy who got to write some Dungeon Crawl Classics.

DCC Resource thread: character sheets, judge tools, and the world's fastest 0-level party creator.
Deogolf
Far-Sighted Wanderer

erol otus site

Post by Deogolf »

Thanks for the link, Harley!!

That was a nice trip down memory lane! Quite a few pics I had never seen before - some really neat stuff, too!

I always liked the dude with the blaster rifle giving it to the insectoid creatures! Another favorite was the roper/female fighter illo. from the Rogues Gallery. That roper picture was one of the more scary ones that I remember.

This site is now on my favorites! :D

John

Return to “All things A-R-T related”