New Convert

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

New Convert

Post by King of Elfland »

After shying away from DCC for years I finally decided to jump in and so glad I took the plunge! We've been playing assorted OSR games the past couple years,including lots of Old School Essentials, and a mashup of Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, Swords & Wizardry & Labyrinth Lord. In fact though I've been gaming since 1981, I have never played much D&D beyond 2nd edition so I was wary that DCC had too much 3e for our group's tastes. But lots of folks have recommended it and it seems to have great support from the fans, the company, and 3rd party publishers. And, as fun as our recent games have been, they've gotten a bit predictable in terms of character actions and responses to challenges. So this seemed like a cool alternative that would inject a bit more chaos into our games but still keep that old school vibe we all like.

Thankfully, it seems that the mechanics aren't too too complex so I don't think the switch from OSE will be too tough, especially once I get the hang of designing monsters in this system. I especially like the magic system and critical tables, which remind me of MERP. Now that was a lethal game! And the fact that you really only need the one book to play is another big plus for us. Furthermore, it seems that the tweaks to the character classes offer enough to allow for a range of player options without the need for a ton of different classes. No reason your warrior can't be a samurai or your thief can't be a ninja. I love the dual wielding ability of halflings. In our recent campaign one of the PCs was essentially a halfling vampire slayer who fought with a pair of handaxes so this would seem to port over quite well to DCC.

I've already read the whole corebook (more or less), secured some funky dice, and purchased several modules and supplements like the ones with extra patrons & spells. So hopefully we'll be running our first funnel over the holidays once our current campaign wraps up. I've also concocted a few ideas for scenarios of my own once I learn the mechanics of the system a bit better.

Anyhow, looking forward to lurking here and posting upon occasion. Can't believe it took me so long to see the light...
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Re: New Convert

Post by finarvyn »

Welcome aboard, and I'm glad that you found the DCC RPG.

I agree that the mechanics are easy, which surprises a lot of folks who are intimidated by the size of the core book. (Most of which are spell pages anyway.) If you are interested in monsters for the game, you might look at the DCC modules (starting at 66, I think, as lower numbers are 3E or 4E products) because those modules are designed to feature unique monsters and not "just another orc or skeleton" scenarios.

I'm also totally hooked on DCC Lankhmar, so if you are a fan of old school literature you might take a peek at that stuff, too.

Again, glad you joined up! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Happy to hear that the temptation proved too strong to resist, even if it took years! :twisted:

If you have any questions at all, the forum is a good place to ask them...
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
King of Elfland
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Top Tier Boardgames

Post by King of Elfland »

Funny thing about Lankhmar, I just don't like Fritz Leiber's writing. I've read a couple of the short story collections and just could not get into them. I love REH, & HPL, and enjoy some of the Jack Vance stuff and many others of the genres covered by DCC, but Leiber, no. I still think it's cool that they have the license for the Lankhmar stuff since it's so iconic. Actually Tolkien remains my favorite author and probably the reason I got into D&D in the first place. I got my magenta boxed set right around the time I first read Lord of the Rings. So my first character, Persimmon the elf, was basically a Legolas clone, right down to being a prince. He still exists as an NPC in my homebrew campaign setting, now as the King of the elven realm of Earthstar.
"The voices sound deadly
Sometimes I hear
Echoes of Empire
Spread Throughout the Skies"---Blue Oyster Cult
Raven_Crowking
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: The Sword & Board

Post by Raven_Crowking »

Welcome to our family!
SoBH pbp:

Cathbad the Meek (herbalist Wizard 1): AC 9; 4 hp; S 7, A 7, St 10, P 17, I 13, L 8; Neutral; Club, herbs, 50' rope, 50 cp; -1 to melee attack rolls. Hideous scar.
finarvyn
Cold-Hearted Immortal
FLGS: Fair Game, Downers Grove IL

Post by finarvyn »

King of Elfland wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58 amFunny thing about Lankhmar, I just don't like Fritz Leiber's writing. I've read a couple of the short story collections and just could not get into them. I love REH, & HPL, and enjoy some of the Jack Vance stuff and many others of the genres covered by DCC, but Leiber, no.
Interesting that I'm sort of the opposite. I like Leiber and REH but find it harder to wade my way through HPL or Vance.

One thing that I love about Leiber is that I feel like he predicted the future. To me, Leiber stories written in the 40's-60's sound a lot like RPG logs from the 70's (D&D) or the 2010's (DCC). When I read Leiber I feel like I could be reading a module campaign log, only decades before RPGs were invented.

The downside of Leiber, to me, is that later stories seem sort of derivative of the earlier ones. The best Leiber stories, IMO, are the first dozen or so written. Leiber wrote stories in random order, then at some point felt the need to put everything into a consistent chronology and wrote later stories to fill in the gaps. If you check the link below, the original stories are the red ones in the list.

http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/vie ... 83&t=47192
Marv / Finarvyn
DCC Minister of Propaganda; Deputized 6/8/11 (over 11 years of SPAM bustin'!)
DCC RPG playtester 2011, DCC Lankhmar trivia contest winner 2015; OD&D player since 1975

"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs, He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own."
-- Gary Gygax
"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
-- Dave Arneson
"Misinterpreting the rules is a shared memory for many of us"
-- Joseph Goodman
3rik
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Never Never Land

Post by 3rik »

I love HPL and REH! Vance not so much and I'm unfamiliar with Leiber.

I too find the core book a bit daunting. I've read some OSR games but I am completely unfamiliar with D&D itself, especially editions 3+. Still, this game sounds and looks so much fun that I am planning to give it a try.
invidus es nostris quoniam tu talia nescis

"It's said that governments are chiefed by the double tongues" - Ten Bears (The Outlaw Josey Wales)

@RPGbericht

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”