Character creation - Wainwright (your dead)

Are you new to DCC? Are you loaded down with questions to ask before you begin play? Explore this section for answers and insights -- and ask your own questions -- about getting started with the Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game...

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, michaelcurtis, Harley Stroh

Rob F
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Fair Game

Character creation - Wainwright (your dead)

Post by Rob F »

Hello All!!

First time post, new to the DCC community. So I've finally found some time over the holiday season to give the DCC RPG a whirl with my family. During the character creation process one of my kids rolled a 95 (Wainwright) and then to determine what was in his starting cart a 4. Which says - "your dead". What's funny about this is that as I was reading the rules I wasn't sure what this meant but thought, no worries, no one will ever roll a 95 and then a 4. Well my 7 year old did!! So does this mean he got himself killed before the adventure even began by getting pinned under his cart or is he pushing around dead bodies? I'm sure I can house rule this one but I'm just really curious about what the designers intent was when this option was added.
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Character creation - Wainwright (your dead)

Post by GnomeBoy »

Ah... How do I break this to you...? 8)

It's not "You're dead" -- it's "your dead"... As in the popular phrase "Bring out your dead!" (as popularly known from Monty Python's Holy Grail).

His job is the collecting of dead bodies, particularly after a plague or calamity, to dispose of them "properly"... :wink:
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Starbeard
Far-Sighted Wanderer
FLGS: Brookhurst Hobbies

Post by Starbeard »

Yep, your son received arguably one of the best available starting items with that roll. Who hasn't wished they had a spare body around when exploring a dungeon?
Rob F
Gongfarmer
FLGS: Fair Game

Post by Rob F »

GnomeBoy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:40 pm Ah... How do I break this to you...? 8)

It's not "You're dead" -- it's "your dead"... As in the popular phrase "Bring out your dead!" (as popularly known from Monty Python's Holy Grail).

His job is the collecting of dead bodies, particularly after a plague or calamity, to dispose of them "properly"... :wink:
Thanks. He is super pumped that this is one of his characters! And.....back to English class I go..!
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop

Post by Judge_Yossarian »

The wainright seems super OP when dealing with traps to be honest... The two groups who I've run through A Portal Under The Stars both largely survived through clever use of a cart full of rocks. Dead are like rocks, but more... flexible. Should be very useful, at least until they start to smell.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common
Jim Skach
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Jim Skach »

IMHO...

This:
Judge_Yossarian wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:34 pm ...clever use of a cart full of rocks.
Negates this:
Judge_Yossarian wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:34 pm The wainright seems super OP when dealing with traps to be honest...
YMMV, etc...
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

Jim's got it.

Who'd rather their players weren't clever? :mrgreen: This game is all about folks reaching for unforeseen solutions and oddball ideas -- goes a long way to making it fun.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Judge_Yossarian
Wild-Eyed Zealot
FLGS: Labyrinth Game Shop

Post by Judge_Yossarian »

Oh, of course it was fun for the players... but what about the poor judge who hardly got to kill anyone? :twisted:

But of course you are both right, creative use of any of the starting occupations or trade goods is what it's all about and should be rewarded. I am sure when playing with kids they have no trouble doing that, OP should have a good time.
--------------
Chalmers frowned. "Harold, what would be a legal purpose for which to conjure a parrot?"

The Corpse that Love Built PbP:
Obadiah the Sharp: Chaotic Warrior (2nd level), Tax collector
Str: 15 (+1), Agi: 11 (0), Sta: 15 (+1), Per: 6 (-1), Int: 7 (-1), Luck: 7 (-1)
HP: 15/24; Speed: 25; Init: 2; AC: 15; Ref: 1; Fort: 2; Will: -1; Deed Die: d4
Main Weapon: Spear melee deed+1 (dmg 1d8+1+deed)
Secondary Weapon: Javelin melee deed+1 (dmg 1d6+1+deed) (x2)
Armor: Scale Mail (+4) Check penalty (-4) Fumble die (d12) Speed (-5)); Shield (+1) Check penalty (-1)
Equipment: Backpack, Rope - 50', Chain 10', iron spikes (3), small hammer, lantern, 3 flasks oil
Funds: 476 gp, 80 cp; Languages: Common
JoanofArc
Ill-Fated Peasant
FLGS: Secret Door Games

Post by JoanofArc »

I've rolled the exact same as your two sons. It was fun to have one of my 0-levels collect all the bodies throughout the funnel. That's all he did. At one point the judge said that the wagon was too heavy for the PC to pull/push and needed another PC's help. It didn't take much for another player to offer a PC up for that. :D
Starbeard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Starbeard »

Judge_Yossarian wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:34 pm The wainright seems super OP when dealing with traps to be honest... The two groups who I've run through A Portal Under The Stars both largely survived through clever use of a cart full of rocks. Dead are like rocks, but more... flexible. Should be very useful, at least until they start to smell.
I don't think I'd allow the cart into the Portal dungeon in the first place. There's no way it would fit through the 5' corridors or around corners, let alone squeeze through the narrower doorways.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Starbeard wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 pm
Judge_Yossarian wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:34 pm The wainright seems super OP when dealing with traps to be honest... The two groups who I've run through A Portal Under The Stars both largely survived through clever use of a cart full of rocks. Dead are like rocks, but more... flexible. Should be very useful, at least until they start to smell.
I don't think I'd allow the cart into the Portal dungeon in the first place. There's no way it would fit through the 5' corridors or around corners, let alone squeeze through the narrower doorways.
Why do the corridors always have to be 5' wide? Sure, most modern dungeons are on a 5' grid, but they used to be 10'.

Also, some carts are less than 5' wide, so they'd fit down most 5' wide corridors, even around corners, and some carts a little more than slightly bigger wheelbarrows. I don't see carts in a dungeon as a problem until you get to natural cavern terrain. That might be a little more bumpy and slow down the cart pusher a bit, but at least the passengers won't really mind too much.
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote
Starbeard
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Starbeard »

In general I agree with absolutely all of that. This is really just a case of particulars for this situation:

- For Portal Under the Stars, I like keeping the map to the scale that's printed (1 square = 5'). It makes the place very cramped when you toss 12-20 nobodies into the funnel. I think it adds a nice layer to the puzzles if you force the players to bumble over each other to disastrous effect, unless they send forward only tiny groups at a time.

- I figure if you're a "wain" wright, you've got yourself a large farm cart, etymologically speaking. Something you can throw a harvest into and take to town, or load multiple barrels of hay into and move around the farm. I might ask the player to choose a size for the cart at creation, but if the contents are a pile of dead people, then I would rule that the cart is a pretty big one.
Bobjester
Hard-Bitten Adventurer
FLGS: Looking for one that doesn't withhold games from customers.

Post by Bobjester »

Starbeard wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:56 pm In general I agree with absolutely all of that. This is really just a case of particulars for this situation:

- For Portal Under the Stars, I like keeping the map to the scale that's printed (1 square = 5'). It makes the place very cramped when you toss 12-20 nobodies into the funnel. I think it adds a nice layer to the puzzles if you force the players to bumble over each other to disastrous effect, unless they send forward only tiny groups at a time.

- I figure if you're a "wain" wright, you've got yourself a large farm cart, etymologically speaking. Something you can throw a harvest into and take to town, or load multiple barrels of hay into and move around the farm. I might ask the player to choose a size for the cart at creation, but if the contents are a pile of dead people, then I would rule that the cart is a pretty big one.
Very good points. Thanks for the clarification, and I find myself agreeing with you on these specifics.
“The wounds received in battle bestow honor, they do not take it away...”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Return to “DCC College - New Judges Start Here”