i have a question about old school D&D

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Alarick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alarick »

hi all the other day i was at my local gaming storeand over heard the owner and some younger gamers talk about old school gaming
they said they love to play old school D&Dbut only been playing 2nd and 3rd edition that they loved the first editon feel of the goodman game modules so i asked them why not just use the modules for first edition games which brings me to my thoughtif the 3rd edition bubble is breaking

maybe it s time to bring the first edition rules back in new books
reason being i cant think of any thing more oldschool than gaming 1stedition
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

There are several web sites devoted to 1E gaming. Check out www.dragonsfoot.org as a great place to start. And if you can make it to Gen Con, you'll get the chance to check out an old school DCC...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Old School DCC at Gen Con

Post by tacojohn4547 »

What a tease!

tacojohn4547
Akrasia
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Akrasia »

Look at this:

http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/

Given the nature of this project, there is nothing stopping GG from producing OSRIC (effectively 1e AD&D) products, or providing OSRIC stats for existing DCCs.
Alarick
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by Alarick »

wow now let me if i got this right are you saying theres a chance that goodman games could be making modules and othe source books using osric if so most awesome news
Akrasia
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Re: i have a question about old school D&D

Post by Akrasia »

Alarick wrote:wow now let me if i got this right are you saying theres a chance that goodman games could be making modules and othe source books using osric if so most awesome news
Well I have no idea what Goodman Games will do. ;) But they could use OSRIC if they wanted. I know that 'Expeditious Retreat Press' (publishers of 'Magical Medieval Society' and other fine RPG products) will be producing some OSRIC products. (See here: http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2 ... stcount=55 )
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Let's just say that fans of 1st edition D&D, and fans of Goodman Games DCC's MUST.....and I again say MUST get to GenCon this year. No hints but you are in for a big &%%&*# treat !!!!

Can't spoil the surprise, but I've done the maps, and seen the material and it rocks on toast!!!

Run, don't walk to GenCon....arrive early and hit the dealer room as soon as you can!

Ben "superfan" Waxman
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Meanwhile, back in Missouri, JediOre continues to sell college textbooks to angry students wishing textbooks sales begain after GenCon....

It's like I'm trapped in a lame 2nd edition module!
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

old school role playing

Post by tacojohn4547 »

JediOre:

You've got private mail. Read it and weep!

tacojohn4547
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

I read it and I wept!
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Old School role playing - DCC style

Post by tacojohn4547 »

For those interested in some old school role playing, DCC style, check out this link to a Dragonsfoot post in the 1st Edition AD&D section:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 28d125cecb

tacojohn4547

ps: JediOre, you've got more mail!
JediOre
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by JediOre »

Right back at you tacojohn4547!

:D
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Re: i have a question about old school D&D

Post by CharlieRock »

Alarick wrote:hi all the other day i was at my local gaming storeand over heard the owner and some younger gamers talk about old school gaming
they said they love to play old school D&Dbut only been playing 2nd and 3rd edition that they loved the first editon feel of the goodman game modules so i asked them why not just use the modules for first edition games which brings me to my thoughtif the 3rd edition bubble is breaking

maybe it s time to bring the first edition rules back in new books
reason being i cant think of any thing more oldschool than gaming 1stedition
1ed has two actual 'games'. Depending on who you ask. There was AD&D and ?D&D (sometimes OD&D or BD&D). Mechanically AD&D was little different then 2ed. So much so I skipped buying any 2edD&D because I thought it was simply a reprint. (didn't stop me from getting add-on books, but applies mainly to core-rules books). So ,if someone asked me to point out a 1edAD&D book, I would suggest any 2edD&D book. Basic (non-A)D&D wasn't much different mechanically(though any transferring of material did need a little converting), just a slimmed down 'lean' version. It got quite comprehensive on its own though. I mostly played the (non-A)D&D. Its modules would work for 3.x with about as much converting effort as it would for 2ed. Basically, you'd just be using the maps and names.
Trying Castles & Crusades for a older edition feel of D&D is the best way to go. I just finished my first adventure in it. Quite well done.
Last edited by CharlieRock on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roll for initiative!!!
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

JediOre wrote:Meanwhile, back in Missouri, JediOre continues to sell college textbooks to angry students wishing textbooks sales begain after GenCon....

It's like I'm trapped in a lame 2nd edition module!
Fellow Missourian Charlie has mountainous issues with travel atm, and wishes he had time for GenCon :cry:
Roll for initiative!!!
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

I am correct in assuming that people who have the subscription service will get a copy?
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

PeelSeel2 wrote:I am correct in assuming that people who have the subscription service will get a copy?
You mean a copy of DCC #12.5 1E? It depends on the date of your subscription (before or after the release) -- email me and I can let you know for sure.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
PeelSeel2
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Never mind......

I thought this thread was new and it was talking about next Gen Con....... :roll:
Argamae
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by Argamae »

For those who wish for a more 1st Edition feel for their D&D Games, yet don't want to dust off their old AD&D books, try CASTLES & CRUSADES. It captures nearly all the "feel" of the old AD&D game yet streamlines it for a more seamless and more intuitive gameplay.
Just a suggestion, though. :wink:
The lucky guy who gets to translate DCCs into German!
Done so far:
DCC#1, DCC #11, DCC #28, DCC #17, DCC #17.5 :)
Treebore
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by Treebore »

Argamae wrote:For those who wish for a more 1st Edition feel for their D&D Games, yet don't want to dust off their old AD&D books, try CASTLES & CRUSADES. It captures nearly all the "feel" of the old AD&D game yet streamlines it for a more seamless and more intuitive gameplay.
Just a suggestion, though. :wink:
At least 6 posters on these boards play C&C, so it isn't like your "alone" here.

Glad to see another fan, though. As we C&Cers like to say, "Welcome to the Crusade!" I hope to see you on our home messageboards or in our forum on Dragonsfoot. Preferably both.
Castles and Crusades is my game of choice!
grodog
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by grodog »

Any plans for another 1e conversion for GenCon 2007 (the 40th anniversary of GenCon)?
grodog
---
Allan.
grodog@gmail.com
Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/greyhawk.html for my Greyhawk site
tacojohn4547
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by tacojohn4547 »

grodog wrote:Any plans for another 1e conversion for GenCon 2007 (the 40th anniversary of GenCon)?
Grodog --

As far as I know, there is nothing formally on the drawing board for another 1E conversion for GenCon Indy 2007.....yet. But I'm working on Joseph's DCC staff to see what we can put together.

If you have time tonight or Sunday, give me a call. I'd like to follow up with you on part of the GenCon discussion we had last week during our AD&D session at Agents. I'd really like to see what we could organize for Indy.

Thanks,

tacojohn4547
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Taco,

Let me thank you in front of all your fans for

1) the wonderful Christmas and birthday present you sent. Unreal in its DCC goodness!!!! Will be treasured!!!

2) Your excellent module conversion

3) Your efforts to repeat your prior success. I will be first in line to buy a new conversion module if it is released, if for no other reasons than the writing and the collectibility.

please do more! Not knowing the economics, I'm guessing that this last publication paid for itself, and I'm sure that further conversions would as well. Seems a "no brainer" to keep this ball rolling while folks are still playing 1E.

Rock on my friend, and thanks again!!!! See you at GenCon '07. Hopefully I'll be allowed to do the maps for the tourney!

Ben "superfan" Waxman :D
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
Warduke
Mighty-Thewed Reaver

Post by Warduke »

heard rumors of another 1e release at gencon 2007 ..... if so, i'm getting in line early(er) this year :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

no more than 5 copies per person!
Member of Fathead's Favorite Posters Team
guslandt
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by guslandt »

I am hoping Goodman Games will never do another module with such a ridiculously low print run. I also hope they will start restricting sales to 'x copies per person'.
At GenCon 2006, doors opened at 10am. Before 10:01am, my buddy was at the Goodman booth, buying his 12.5 1stEd. He asked if he could buy all 60 copies, and they said YES! :evil: I think the only reason he didn't is because he has a good reputation on collecting sites, and maybe he didn't want to ruin that. But I'll tell you now, if Goodman allows unlimited purchases on a limited release at GenCon 2007, someone will buy them out within the first 2 minutes of the doors opening.

I personally hope they never do a print run lower than 500. Anything that doesn't sell at a convention will sell within a week or two online, so there is no reason for them to ever do a print run lower than 500.

I have a feeling things will be different, because I don't think GG realized before GenCon 2006 what a hot item their limited edition modules had become. They also didn't realize there was a legion of us rabid '1st edition' fans. :D
Addermcone
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Addermcone »

Just to clarify PeelSeel2's question,

If you have a subscription running, say I signed up next week :) , would you automatically receive a copy of the modules available at the various cons? or would you nedd to organize for someone to collect one for you at the event. Just asking for us overseas collectors.
"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

Return to “Goodman Games General”