Getting Started

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Getting Started

Post by Zargon »

Greetings,

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, or if I am posting in the wrong section. However being new to this game, and company I am on information overload. As a proud owner of a new copy of the DCC RPG book I'd like to start getting some of the adventure modules, and judge aides to enhance my gaming session next week, and thereafter. Yet there are so many products, dozens and dozens of modules, I have no idea where to start. I'd be happy to find something like a DM screen, and a collection of low level modules and work up from there. The Castle Whiterock, and Gazeteer products blow my mind...
So, Quo Vadis?
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Re: Getting Started

Post by GnomeBoy »

Welcome.

Be aware that most GG products at this point are not specifically for the DCC RPG, but were produced for that Grandpappy of Them All Game, the one from the mind of E.G.G., R.A., et. al. Those modules and campaigns could be used with the new RPG with some amount of conversion being done...

...however, everything that GG has put out specifically for the new game so far is found here: http://www.goodman-games.com/5070preview.html

And there are numerous third-party items out there, as well... Check this part of the forum for more info: http://www.goodman-games.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=70
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham
Zargon
Wild-Eyed Zealot

Post by Zargon »

Thank you good sir,

I appreciate the links :) One or two things on my mind; On the 'preview' link above in your post, there is a tab on the left of a 'blank' stone. Clicking it leads to subscription form, is this something worth getting into, or are the issues getting beyond beginner level of play, e.g. level 5 like Beyond The Black Gate, just released? And if it were only possible to buy one product (boxed set, module ect) from GG, which one comes with the most acclaim and highest recommendations for the ambitious DCC player?
Fables of the Borderlands - #1 DCC campaign on Obsidian Portal!
GnomeBoy
Tyrant Master (Administrator)
FLGS: Bizarro World

Post by GnomeBoy »

You're quite welcome.

The adventure modules are not released 'in order', i.e., they vary from level to level with each new one published. And I have heard Joseph say that there will always be more lower level modules published than higher ones -- just market forces in play there.

Interesting that you found the subscription form... Are you part Elf? 8) Anyway, there used to be a subscription option for the modules back in the 3e days. I'm 99.783% sure it is defunct now. ...But who knows if it will come back next year for the new game...?

As for highly regarded boxed sets, Castle Whiterock is justly heaped with praise. The Gazeteer of the Known Realms has fans the world over. The others are compilations of popular modules... You really can't go wrong; it just depends on what grabs your interest most! Again, all of these were written for 3rd Edition D&D, but since DCC RPG is built on the same basic engine, the conversion can be done without fuss. The main tip: each level in DCC RPG is roughly equivalent to 2 levels in D&D, or so many have commented.
Gnome Boy • DCC playtester @ DDC 35 Feb '11. • Beta DL 2111, 7AM PT, 8 June 11.
Playing RPGs since '77 • Quasi-occasional member of the Legion of 8th-Level Fighters.

Link: Here Be 100+ DCC Monsters

bygrinstow.com - The Home of Inner Ham

Return to “Goodman Games General”