Plans for Origins and GenCon 2005

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Plans for Origins and GenCon 2005

Post by fathead »

Have any adventure concepts been tossed around for the next DCC
tournament at GenCon 2005?

Any plans for Origins? If no tournament plans are underway, someone
should consider running a couple tables with another DCC adventure.
I could guarantee one full table. :)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

Yes, we've tossed around a LOT of ideas. :) But nothing is final enough to talk about yet. We won't be at Origins this year, but we have solved one problem: team registration. We've talked to Gen Con, and they will be able to allow for team registration. Basically, an individual will be able to buy multiple tickets (up to 6) for a single slot, enabling entire teams to register at once. Once that's all ironed out we'll give the details.
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Any thought on allowing first dibs on event tickets to the last year's top 2 teams?
:wink:
Dark Oracle of Gaming
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

I can't promise anything (and I'm not even sure if Gen Con's registration system handles that), but I'll bring it up for discussion...
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

goodmangames wrote:I can't promise anything (and I'm not even sure if Gen Con's registration system handles that), but I'll bring it up for discussion...
Last year, I barely got a table (and I registered the first day).

Your event is on the top of our GenCon event list though! I'm not wasting any time this year. I'm ordering that event first.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

That's what I like to hear! While I didn't have the honor of killing off -- ahem -- running the adventure for Clan Yeoman (I was DMing the *winning* team :)) I have to say that running Crypt of the Devil Lich was the best DMing experience I've ever had at a Con.

Lots of action, lots of great people, and lots of stories to tell over and over and over and over again.

While I can't say much about Gen Con 2005, I can say that I'm thrilled about what lies ahead, and am looking forward to working on the upcoming tournament module -- it is sure to be another adventuring opus that will be remembered long after it's been run.
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

Without a doubt, Goodman Games had some of the best GMs at GenCon running the event. If we hadn't advanced past the 1st round, this still would have been our favorite event from the con. I've been praising the event on the Enworld and Kenzer boards....I just hope that I don't shut my own group out of the event by drumming up more players. :)

Like I said, this event is at the top of our list! We'll be there with a full team again.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
superfan
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by superfan »

Hey Dan,

Great game last Gencon! I was the funny spectator stalking your group, and learning all their secrets! :P

I wanted to warn you....I'm bringing my posse this time, and we're taking Clan Yeoman down!!! :D ....NOT!

I hope this team thing works, and we'll see if I can get 3 of my gaming group to Indy this year. I look forward to giving you a tough fight this August. Later bro,

Ben "superfan" Waxman
"They Might Be Dwarves" - World Champions Xcrawl 2007. So BAD...but yet so good.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

superfan wrote:Hey Dan,

Great game last Gencon! I was the funny spectator stalking your group, and learning all their secrets! :P

I wanted to warn you....I'm bringing my posse this time, and we're taking Clan Yeoman down!!! :D ....NOT!

I hope this team thing works, and we'll see if I can get 3 of my gaming group to Indy this year. I look forward to giving you a tough fight this August. Later bro,

Ben "superfan" Waxman
Yeah, I remember you. :) How could I forget?! You had me sign your t-shirt. :o

I think that cutting the tournament to 4 players is definitely going to narrow the competition. It's going to be fun.

We look forward to competing again. Let us know what your team name is so that we can watch for you. :wink:
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

This year's tournament should be a real blast... A great adventure concept that should challenge even the most hardened veterans, and a set of characters I really enjoyed building -- they have all the "classic" skills and abilities, but with a few quirks and flavor of their own.

I'm not sure if a final decision has been made about table/team sizes... I know it's being discussed, but I think the final decision will be based on:
- DM availability
- Tournament coordinators/scorers availability
- Player interest
- Tournament structure

If you have a strong, compelling argument for a particular table/team size, go ahead and make it -- a lot of factors are being considered, and we want to make a decision that makes the most of this wonderful tournament setting and gives the players what they want.

Joseph, can we leak the proposed module name? Can we make them tremble in fear right now? That's a whole spring and summer worth of fear to revel in!
Crypt of the Devil Lich, Dungeon Interludes, The Mask of Death, Adventure Begins, Vault of the Dragon Kings, the Power Gamers Wizard Strategy Guide, The Adventure Continues, Palace in the Wastes and PhoenixCrawl Open
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

ynnen wrote: If you have a strong, compelling argument for a particular table/team size, go ahead and make it -- a lot of factors are being considered, and we want to make a decision that makes the most of this wonderful tournament setting and gives the players what they want.

Joseph, can we leak the proposed module name? Can we make them tremble in fear right now? That's a whole spring and summer worth of fear to revel in!
Well, I've already posted most of my opinions in the other GenCon tournament thread. I'll add one more though - how well a team works together is less of an issue with 4 people. When we used to play the D&D Open, team member selection was always important. Too many alpha males make for a difficult team. There also has to be more coordination in terms of combat...players rushing in before spells go off, encounters that could have been handled with more skill and less brawn, etc. So, by cutting the number of players down to 4, you are eliminating that element.

That being said, I don't really mind. I like the idea of 4 players as well. I only suggested 5 players because it would be nice to be able to fit in one additional player per GM. Given last year's demand for the event, I suspect that tables will fill up QUICKLY.

As for the last part...JOESEPH!!! Give us the event name!! We're dying here!!!
Dark Oracle of Gaming
goodmangames
Cold-Hearted Immortal

Post by goodmangames »

OK, OK! The adventure title is...

...drum roll, please....

VAULT OF THE DRAGON KINGS

Does that get your blood flowing or what?
Joseph Goodman
Goodman Games
www.goodman-games.com
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

goodmangames wrote:OK, OK! The adventure title is...

...drum roll, please....

VAULT OF THE DRAGON KINGS

Does that get your blood flowing or what?
Very nice. Give us the module cover! Give us the characters! We're ready to go! :)
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Hey, hey, hey!!! Give 'em an inch, they want a foot... :P

I'm sure we'll be doling out more information in juicy bits, to tantalize the senses... Lemme just dangle this out, too... I just submitted the proposed roster of PCs for the convention, and the feedback was very positive.

- Some atypical characters with a few surprises that are still faithful to the classic feel of old school dungeon romping.
- More detailed background stories to help enterprising GMs incorporate these characters into their own campaigns as powerful NPCs with quirks and style.
- Enhanced Tumble skills for the majority of characters!! :lol: (pseudo-inside joke for those of you who participated last year)

Until Joseph's ready to reveal more, you'll have to settle for repeating the name over and over, and pre-tremble in pre-fear.

Vault of the Dragon Kings

See, it just keeps getting better and better!!
arandall
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by arandall »

I'm curious, having never been to a con or played a tournament module. Do people come as a party, a pre-existing group of players playing together. Or is it a pick up deal, with parties formed randomly from everybody present?
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

arandall wrote:I'm curious, having never been to a con or played a tournament module. Do people come as a party, a pre-existing group of players playing together. Or is it a pick up deal, with parties formed randomly from everybody present?
Players now have the option of purchasing tickets for their entire team this year, so I'm sure that there will be plenty of those. Parties aren't typically formed at random, but if you purchase a ticket, you are guaranteed a spot on a team. I'm sure that there will be others that will be without an entire team.
Dark Oracle of Gaming
MattF
Gongfarmer

Post by MattF »

Do people come as a party, a pre-existing group of players playing together. Or is it a pick up deal, with parties formed randomly from everybody present?
At least last year, my friend and I bought tickets for a specific slot, and we were teamed up with the other four people who had bought tickets for that same slot - we didn't know them ahead of time. Since we won, it seemed to work out OK. :wink:

I assume you could coordinate a group of four to try and get tickets for the same slot. If we want to defend our title, we will have to do that this year. I know some of the other teams last year were all friends.
fathead
Cold-Blooded Diabolist

Post by fathead »

ynnen wrote: Until Joseph's ready to reveal more, you'll have to settle for repeating the name over and over, and pre-tremble in pre-fear.

See, it just keeps getting better and better!!
It DOES sound menacing. I guess that you tossed the earlier idea of the dreaded "Vault of the Halfling Queen"?
Dark Oracle of Gaming
ynnen
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Post by ynnen »

Oops -- you were supposed to take a left at the Fearsome Corridor of the Nixie Regents... the Vault of the Dragon Kings is left from there, then two doors down to the right. Not the other way around.... :D
Frukathka
Ill-Fated Peasant

Post by Frukathka »

I'm looking forward to seeing the Goodman crew at GenCon! (It'll be my first Con)

Return to “Goodman Games General”