Dragon & Dungeon mags:

General talk about Goodman Games. If it doesn't go anywhere else, post it here. Includes news, announcements, questions, gossip, and so on.

Moderators: DJ LaBoss, finarvyn, Harley Stroh

slimykuotoan
Hard-Bitten Adventurer

Dragon & Dungeon mags:

Post by slimykuotoan »

Originally Posted by Monte Cook:

If the magazines were doing poorly, WotC wouldn't care if Paizo put out others. No, it's just the opposite. They're doing well, and likely WotC products--probably specifically adventures--aren't doing as well as WotC wants. There's been some loud voices at WotC crying that Dragon and Dungeon (particularly Dungeon) are too good a value. They're too good for the customer, and smart customers buy them rather than regular products. This was true when WotC put out the magazines, and it's been true under the Paizo banner as well. I'm guessing declining sales gave these voices the evidence they needed to axe the magazines.
Scottenkainen
Ill-Fated Peasant

Yes...

Post by Scottenkainen »

There was similar speculation of this nature on the Greytalk listserv not long after the announcement.

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper
tadk
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

it is a shame

Post by tadk »

it is a shame what ever the reason
fewer magazines
time to do my own stuff again
Over 30 years spent gaming, all sorts of systems, feel free to ask me anything, no guarantees I will have an answer.
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

On the bright side it freed up a portion of my gaming budget for other things. 8)
Roll for initiative!!!
trancejeremy
Far-Sighted Wanderer

Post by trancejeremy »

Probably not much of your budget, though. That's why WOTC probably killed it - they were too cheap for their own good (at least Dungeon). $7 for several adventures? I think Dungeon was what, 96 pages? And usually about 50 were adventures. While the Goodman's DCCs are pretty reasonably priced, I think some WOTC modules are $20 for 64 pages
CharlieRock
Deft-Handed Cutpurse

Post by CharlieRock »

trancejeremy wrote:Probably not much of your budget, though. That's why WOTC probably killed it - they were too cheap for their own good (at least Dungeon). $7 for several adventures? I think Dungeon was what, 96 pages? And usually about 50 were adventures. While the Goodman's DCCs are pretty reasonably priced, I think some WOTC modules are $20 for 64 pages
No it didn't free up too much. But now I can buy KoDT without even noticing a difference and still have lunch money that day.
My subscription to Dragon was 30-something. One to KoDT was 20-something. I can look at it as switching subs and getting a free module.

I needed to focus on the positive aspect! :x

Return to “Goodman Games General”